Search This Blog

Monday, October 11, 2010

A new week begins

10/10

I woke up at 430 because I had guard duty this morning. Not so bad because we have to be up at 545 anyway for a run but I'm on 2 hours of sleep so I had a protein bar and some water.  We went on a short run in the morning. I got back to my room dripping even though it was freezing outside. I organized all my clothes and things that I have and went to breakfast. I bought two whole-wheat bagels and a can of tuna since the food here isn't really good.
Army food is better.
They don't give you all the protein and carbs that you need here. I went straight to Ulpan to the higher level because the beginner class was too easy. I liked this class more. That class was 3 hours long
 I went back to the room to wait  for lunch. We had bad hotdogs, bad chili and bad buns. I ate it anyway. After lunch we had an hour break. I went to sleep for that hour since I slept 2 hours last night. I'm so tired. We had to be by the building at 3:15and when we got there and went into masav shtaim (pushup position) for 10 minutes and did pushups in between.

Then we had a discussion and we were asked what we liked and what we didn't this week and then a class on all the different ranks and positions in the army. There are so many different ones its very confusing.
 We had a guest speaker who spoke to us about random things. One of the things he said that is funny and true is the reason a man marries a woman is because he loves himself not because he loves her. He married her because she pleases him, which he wants because he loves himself.
(The same thing with a woman)

After that we had dinner. I went out and got a burger since the food here isn't really edible. We had to do some running up and down stairs a little because the Sergeant thinks we aren't disciplined enough. We had Hebrew learning time and practice interviews for the Hebrew test we need to pass to get into the army.
The new commander from Golani knows a lot about health and the body. He's showing me exercises to strengthen my flat feet. We now went to our Krav Maga class. I'm allowed to do it now since I don't have mono anymore (at least I think I don't)
I still can't get hit in the spleen so they hit everyone in the stomach but me :-)!!

We started off with running with people on our back and a lot of pushups and masav shtaim (pushup position).
 If we speak English we get killed. He asked who spoke English today and I said I did. He made me run around the circle for 15 minutes with the bag over my head!! It was a sick and painful shoulder workout. We started off by stretching a little bit. We crawled on the concrete floor for 20 minutes, back and forth.
Painful but its all good.

We practiced the basics that I already know. Some punches and kicks. Then 2 different types of knife defenses. Then he asked us if anyone knew some sort of fighting and wants to show the class. So I showed them a takedown I learned in my MMA class. It was a simple sweep. We practiced that for a while.

 After that we all got in a circle and the commanders made a ring around us. Everyone for themselves and the last one in the ring wins. The first time Levi won. The second time I won. The second time it was me against Jay we ended up on the floor.
 I put him in a Guillotine choke and flipped him over and got him out.(Thanks to MMA) Last it was me vs. Levi with everyone surrounding us pushing us back in. We went for a while until my heart finally gave out and I got out but it was fun either way. Then the end of class everyone gets hit with their eyes closed. I'm not allowed to yet.
So the big Krav Maga trainer Chaim hit everyone. I watched and was very thankful that it wasn't me getting hit ha ha ha. Everyone on the floor is coughing, choking and in a lot of pain. We stayed on the floor for 5 minutes and class was then over. My knees and elbows are extremely cut up and I'm still on 2 hours of sleep. Someone came with a guitar and we sat in a circle singing for a little while. Very relaxing.

We had 40 minutes for 20 guys to shower. At this point everyone is speaking Hebrew the whole day so far even in the rooms. If we get caught speaking English I don't event want to say what happens.
One more more protein bar and off to bed.
Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment