Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

11/1/10 DRAFT DAY



I woke up 5:00AM , after only 3 hours of sleep.  I took my laundry that was half dry from outside and packed the stuff I needed in my hiking bag. We left the apartment around 6 and walked to the bus. (I'm only going for the free bus rides that the army provides hahah)
So excited, I hope I brought everything I need. I packed white shirts, boxers, sock, sweatshirt and pants to sleep in, toiletries, and some random things.
We’ll see what the day has in store for us. We got to the central bus station in Jerusalem and bought breakfast. We caught the 6:40 bus and sat in the back.
 We happened to be sitting in from on people from an organization that helps lone soldiers. They took our information down. I prayed on the bus and tried to get a little rest.
So what it looks like is right now I am signing on the army for 14.5 months. I'm going to take the gubbushim (tests) for the more elite Special Forces units that require a longer amount of time for fun though. I just like the workout so why not.
You don't have to sign if you pass.
We got to Tel Hashomer where we wait for the bus to take us to the Bakum (induction center) down the block then later on to Michveh Alon up north where I will be for the next 3 weeks.

 I like it at the Tel Hashomer base. We know everyone here because AY from Aish has connections. We get to cut all the lines and don't need papers to get in, almost like the first day of school. Everyone knows us and it’s a lot of fun here.
The lone soldier center is here helping out with everything. We thanked all the people here that helped us as well.
Baruch and AY gave us one last speech before we got on the bus. We took pictures and everyone is so happy. The bus left and we all waved to our new "family" (Baruch and AY) people threw water on the bus and it took off.
We are on the way to the Bakum to finish all the testing.. First we went to go eat lunch. We walked in the room and there was so much food and all of It was good. Schnitzel, hamburgers rice, peas, butterfly fries, garlic bread, falafel and all salads and more. It was so good.
They’re just giving us a taste of what we are not going to have for a while I guess.
I'm here with all my guys from Aish.
We were each given 12 stickers with our information on it, one for each station. All the stations are in a regular building, nothing special.  
We went to the first station to take pictures for our ID cards.
Station 2- We then went into the next room it was two girl soldiers taking a picture of your teeth. Rushing you with no patience and they were just not nice lol.
We then got to the fingerprint and body picture room. The finger print every possible part of your hand, take a picture of you and you sign your name. After that there was a room where you have your teeth X-rayed that took 2 seconds.
Then we all had a quick interview again, asking us where we live., if we have family here etc and these people were nice and not grumpy.
 People were like panicking, they thought it was another Hebrew test, but actually if they do see that your Hebrew   isn't good enough they will send you to do a quick Hebrew test and if you fail you have to delay your draft 3 months to learn Hebrew. So I advise anyone reading this to practice Hebrew.  
We then went to go get our shots. So many people were scared because we hear that the girl just stabs you and doesn't look. First was the finger prick DNA test. They stick your finger and use the blood as finger paint to draw circles on cardboard. The next to shots were in the arm and then on top of the shoulder and the next in the side of the shoulder. You don't even feel them.
But she does just stab you quickly. I found out the shots are for tetanus shots and meningitis. We then went to the next station, which was another interview.
 They asked questions about money and what we need. I then went upstairs to fill out a form at the next station to see if  I had any recent medical changes or if I needed to see a doctor now.
I had no issues.

The final and longest station was getting all of our clothes and equipment. We had to wait on line for around an hour. They gave me a bag with random tools, shirts, pants, shoes, winter coat, socks, towels and more. There’s a changing room to try everything on. The shirt and pants fit fine. The shoes were the problem, couldn’t get the right size to fit and ended up leaving with 2 pairs on boots that don't fit perfectly. After an hour and a half of me asking to have boots that fit they "found them".
I got them on and one was tight the other was good, but what can I do.
Since a few of us were the last ones there, the mefaked made us sweep the floors and pick up the garbage.
The Friends Of The IDF supplied all of us with a bag of food, shavers, coffee and more. Thanks for that.
We got all of our bags that we checked earlier in the day and made out way to the bus. All of us have waiting for this for a while. We are all finally in uniform and ready to go.
We are going to a base called Michveh Alon where it all starts for real and I can't wait.
 I slept on the bus and we had a dinner break of course I ate 2 sandwiches and took 1 for later. As soon as we got to Michveh Alon  we started getting told what to do, chet, shloshot ( line with 3 people in each line) , hands behind the back, feet together, running  from place to place, being timed.
Working out all the papers with the masha kitash (social worker).  We then did the same stuff that we did in the beginning, over and over. They gave us 45 minutes off now. I'm on the top bunk with springs that kill my back. They also gave us a lot of equipment, sleeping bag and sheets that no ones uses and you can guess why, a combat vest, coat, 2 work uniforms and bottles for water. We have to get in bed and sleep I have to go.
Great first day in the IDF.

No comments:

Post a Comment