Search This Blog

Monday, December 13, 2010

Week1 onbase

Week 1
12-5 Sunday
I'm going to be writing the blog less often now but more in each one since I won't have a lot of time.
We got to the base and ate lunch, today we were assigned to our groups.
There are 3 big units , 50, 931, 932. I'm in 931 where I wanted to go.
There are 180 people in each one. Then you are split into smaller groups of 60.
I was put in group 2 . Then from there you are put into groups of 12.
My group is aleph 2. So these are the 12 guys I'll be with my whole service in the army.
They're all israelis, and one speaks some English,but my hebrew is getting better.
I like the mefaked(commander) I have he is nice but serious.
We had a meeting to discuss  the rules we have to follow and there are a lot!
I'm with one of my friends in the same 180 people but not the same tent.
One of the guys next to me snores!!! It's horrible. I have thermals under all my clothes so I'm pretty warm now and I'll be warm on guard duty.
We actually get 7 hours of sleep which is amazing and we are getting our guns on Tuesday. We met all the commanders and high ranking officers of ours.

Monday I got picked along with 8 other people to be one of the commanders "helpers for the day. We did so much!! -ammo, kitchen 3 times, bringing food place to place, carry stuff to the storage room.
We also had a long class on rules of the guns which are very strict and a class on M16 rifle. Tuesday we signed for our guns and we have to remember our gun number.
We can't put the sling on the gun until tommrow since we got in trouble  because a few people forgot their gun in the tent!!!!
We learned how to tie certain knots . We also taped all the strings on our vest so there won't be anything hanging.
We had our first minor workout. We ran 500 meters, it took 2 minutes . I thought it was a warmup run!!

Wedneday
We put slings on our guns, and it's so much more comfortable.
We had our first masa(march) with full gear, gun and equiptment. I had to carry the heaviest thing on my back. The water cooler!!
The Masa was only 30 minutes and 3km. They like starting everyone off slow
We also had to practice cocking our guns and we had to do it almost 300 times in under 5 minutes.

Thursaday
There a a shooting simulator on the base where you can practice shooting. It is very cool actually. You have to have all your bullets hit in the same spot within 5cm. I got all 5 bullets in 4.1cm the first time then the second 2.6cm. Since I did well, I got to do kitchen work the rest of the day!! So annoying.
We then had a class on the communication radio. They are made in America so they call everything on it in english with an israeli accent.
We also practiced lineups and formations for our swearing in ceremony. It didn't take too long, but we are going to practice a lot.

On Friday we had a class on the histroy of the army and then they tell us all that is going on in the news. We also have a talk with the mefaked , he asks us what was good , what was bad this week and then they change things.

Our tent has a heater that doesn't work so they took it out so gas spilled all over our tent, it smells horrible,and we cleaned it.

Shabbat dinner is at 6:30 we got there and unit 932 was also there. So each unit has there own songs saying how were better than everyone else so we were going back and forth for like an hour. Even the commanders. Hahaha .
The Friday night food wasn't so bad. I had kitchen work again. They always choose me and we couldn't  clean the dishes with the machine so we did It with our hands while evryone else was in their tents relaxing.
We have off until tommorw 6pm. On Saturday I woke up with the tent going crazy, the wind is so strong outside. There is all dust everywhere in the tent. Its hard to breath. Everything is dirty now in the tent. Evrything outside fell. Our tents are falling apart. You can't see when you go outside. The winds are crazy .I've never seen this before.  Hopefully it stops soon.
We went to lunch after , shnitzel and chulent. It was pretty good. We sat in the tent and relaxed the rest of the day. They did tell us "For every shabbat their is motzaei shabbat" so well see what happens at tonight.

We went for a 1km run, we tested our dips and pullups I didn't get a lot since I already workout out today. 31 dips, 11 pullups. Befoe dinner we had 5 minutes of lunged, that was fun.
We also had a equiptment check with one of the commanders and then went to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment