Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

The End

So now I am done with the army after 14 months, it might not be like the 3 required years that Israelis have to do but it is different since I left home and came to volunteer on the other side of the world. It started from the day I got on uniform , I looked in the mirror and said "wow I'm actually here" it was a really good feeling. I decided to join a combat unit who's main purpose is to guard the borders of the country and go to war if one breaks out. In the beginning you are just in shock because of what is going on around you. All the sudden you are getting told what to do 24/7, your whole day is being timed and you have someone set your schedule for you weather you like it or not, you can't sleep when or as long as you want . Day is night or you can say night is day, because here it doesn't really matter since work is work and it has to get done. The physical part started with a 3 kilometer hike where they put the water jug on my back which weighed around 20lbs , ill never forget how tired I was after those 30 MINUTES!! 7 months later we finished a 60 kilometer hike which took 12 hours and I had 80lbs on me ;see any improvement? That's just one example that shows how hard work pays off. Did I mention I was also chosen to be the machine gunner aka "Magist" hence the the name of my gun "MAG" . After the training we went to guard the Lebanon border, which was quiet and not so dangerous until something actually happens, and when something happens there its usually something big. We ended up on being there for only a month since it fell out on our schedule that we have another 3 months of training in Nevi Mousa which turned out to be the hottest , most disgusting , deserted and depressing army base and place in the world in my and many others opinions. During those 3 months I had a few of the hardest physical times of my life. This is when we got split up into different sectors. I was chosen along with a bunch of other people to be taken to a demolitions course. We learned how to blow up and destroy almost everything in many ways. We then got transferred and were together with the soldiers that have been in the army longer than us. Next stop,the Gaza border . The most dangerous one in the country. We were in charge of almost the whole top northern border. Our job , to protect all of the people living near there. Also stopping terrorist from crossing the fence coming into Israel and trying to either kidnap soldiers (us) or kill innocent people. Did we get shot at ;yes .Did we have 3 seconds instead of the 30 most people get to run to the bomb shelters when they shoot rockets ;yes. Did we driver along the border knowing at any second we can be he by laser guided missiles that the terrorist have and want to use against us; yes. Did we get anywhere from 0- 5 hours of sleep for a few weeks at a time ; not shower for days and sometimes weeks, not eat any food that was even close to as good as the food you eat at home. I wasn't connected or updated to most things on the outside world, music , TV ,movies and regular things that you see on the news. I knew that at any second a war can break out and I can find myself in Gaza , Lebanon and who knows where else, but you feel ok with it since you trust the guys that you are with. My overall experience was amazing , a year and a half in Israel might not seem like too much but I feel like I always lived here. I learned a lot , made a lot of friends and felt like I did a meaningful thing . When I first got here I could never see my self living here but after being here for some time you realize that you never want to leave. I flew back on January 9th 2012, I already see my self coming back soon. I might of told you only 1% of my story but If could do it all over again I would in a second.

No comments:

Post a Comment