Search This Blog

Monday, January 31, 2011

Guard Duty 1/23-1/29

Sun

This week is supposed to be all guard duty on the base. There are a few places to guard and there are a group of soldiers always ready if anything happens, which means you sleep in uniform and boots and all your equipment is ready in seconds.
But anyways we started off the week doing work for one of the guys on the base. We had to clean the base which was actually kind of relaxing , since they gave me the lawn mower. They gave us 2 hour breaks. Nothing much else today but we worked until 11pm.

Mon

Today they gave some of us kitchen duty, it was not as good this time. There wasn't shnitzel today to eat, so I just ate everything else in the kitchen, but its kind of tiring cleaning the floors every 30 minutes and cleaning the stuff they use to cook and feed 500 people a day. We had to work here until 12am. Ahhh the army life.

Tuesday

From all the kitchen work yesterday my boots got soaked from cleaning dishes. So my feet were wet the whole day. Today our guard duty started. 3 hours per shift. When I was there I kind of wished I was back to kitchen work. Guard duty is very boring and cold. After that they put me on cita coninoot, which means your sleep in uniform and boots, and at 2:30 am they woke us up and we had to get all our equipment on and run to the other side of the base and do a 10 minute practice exercise to see how fast we would respond if it were a real emergency.

Wed

I woke up in the morning and stood up, my toes were killing me, I think I jammed them last night and don't remember how. I couldn't stand on them. Just so happens they are jammed and black and blue.
We also shot rockets on the simulator today as they are  too expensive to practice for real. They put me on guard duty again, until late at night

Thursday

Of course after very little sleep and I get woken up at 6am and I have to guard for 3 more hours the morning, I was very tired from not sleeping all week. We had a class on communications today, there are a lot of different radios so we have to learn about them all. I went to the doctor for my foot, and got permission to wear sneakers and not run for now.

Friday


We had the obstacle course practice in the morning,I  didnt run since I can't...so I just watched. We than had a class on a certain weapon, (don't worry about it) . Then we had a class on the rules of guard duty for the 3rd time. I thought I could at least relax on base but they gave me guard duty during shabbat dinner time so I had to eat before with a few other people. And I got the worst place to guard, the gun room. Its silent and you guard alone. Soo boring but I guess necessary. After I went to a different pluga to see one of my friends, showered and slept.

Saturday

On base for Shabbat...not like shabbat at home but at least we got food...I went to see my friend at the other part of the base in the 932 brigade. At night we had a 4k run kinda good.. My run is getting much better, which is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment